Thursday 21 August 2014

Thoughts on Never Let Me Go


Have you read Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go?

If you haven't and don't want spoilers, don't read this post, get out there and enjoy your day!

If you have read it and want to hear my thoughts, do feel free to stick around.

This is one of those books that split me down the middle; I was completely gripped and compelled to read on, but found that I wasn't besotted with the narrator or the characters; it has stayed with me and had some great twists to the plot, but it's not a book I'm in a hurry to read again or force upon others.

Not every story should be a fairy tale, and not all novels should have happy endings. I do however feel that books ought to leave us with a feeling we have been given something, or even wanting more, rather than feeling we've been cheated or taken for a ride.

Having written that sentence, I see now that it's likely that my reaction was an intentional one, constructed to echo the emotions of Kathy at the end of the story; but I still feel Never Let Me Go 
had all the ingredients of a great book but somehow didn't make good on them.

In all honesty, I recommend Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale over this one.

If anyone out there has read this book, what was your take on it? Have I missed the point, and did you feel satisfied with its conclusion? I am all ears!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...