Thursday 5 February 2015

RECIPE: Mini Nutella Croissants

Today is apparently Nutella Day! But as my bae housemate said, "Isn't every day Nutella Day?"

I said yes, and that is my excuse for this being so super late. I'm hoping you guys can forgive me once you've eaten some of these amazing Nutella croissants! They are delicious, cheap, quick and easy - basically all of the qualities that matter most to me in a recipe. I hope you enjoy!


 

YOU WILL NEED

Nutella
Puff Pastry - I used Jus Rol 320g / 350mm x 225mm
1 egg - beaten, to glaze with
A baking tray, glass & pastry brush for glazing, large cutting knife, butter knife
20 mins prep (depending on how thorough you are measuring/hungry you are), approx. 15 mins baking
MAKES 9 x 7cm wide croissant, plus 2 x 3.5cm delicious half size ones



STEP ONE

Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC / 180ºC fan / 400F / Gas Mark 6 or whatever is specified on your pastry packet

Most puff pastry packets ask you to take the pastry out the fridge 10 minutes before you plan on using them, so part way through this time I unrolled it and started measuring the size of each croissant. You are welcome to guesstimate this part if it scares you and move onto the next step, but for those interested, my "maths" is included below.

I had a piece that was 35cm wide, so I decided to make each croissant 7cm wide as this number fit nicely into 35cm. For bigger sheets, bear in mind you want your triangles to be as long as possible, so that it rolls better. In order to make my croissants fit, I made the following measurement markings on top and bottom, measuring from the lefthand side:
TOP: 3.5cm, 10.5cm, 17.5cm, 24.5cm, 31.5cm, 35cm
BOTTOM: 7cm, 14cm, 21cm, 28cm, 35cm
You can see above the markings I made on the top edge to give you an idea of what it looked like. (This is the "hardest" part of this not too challenging recipe, f'real.)

We will return to the markings in step three!


STEP TWO

Spread on that Nutella, son. Be as generous as your heart desires.

STEP THREE

Cut your super skinny triangle as shown.


STEP FOUR

Roll up your triangle, starting from the wide end, until you get that croissant style shape.


STEP FIVE 

Brush with your beaten egg wash, super generously (I wish I had gone for it a little more this time round!)


STEP SIX

Repeat the process until you have used all of the pastry.


STEP SEVEN

Bake either following the instructions on your pastry packet, or if you're using Jus Rol, aim for around 15 minutes (again on 200ºC/180ºC fan/ Gas Mark 6) and keep an eye on them. They should be golden brown when they are ready.

Then you are done, son! Please let me know if you try this croissant recipe - they really are crazy delicious and so simple too... Plus let me know of any Nutella recipes of your own down in the comments!

PS - My friend Georgia made these with apple and cinnamon, if you fancy a non-Nutella alternative!

SHARE THIS POST


Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Pin This Share on Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...