Tuesday 30 September 2014

Books I Read This Month


...that you may want to read too!

Guys, I've been reading. For pleasure. Not something that has happened on a regular basis over the last three years, I am ashamed to admit; uni seems to have a magic gift for eating up all my fun reading time. A big shout out has to go out to my girl Ellie for lending me such sweet reads this September; it's been a great month for bedtime stories, I'm telling you!

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro 
I've already written a mini review on this book here as it's one of those novels that left me desperate to talk to someone about it... As you'll see from that post, it wasn't my cup of tea, for very good reason; but it's still a powerful read.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
I don't often bust a chuckle when reading books, but this did have me beaming and even giggling away while reading on the bus to work. I definitely think I would have loved this even more as a teen, but I still felt it was a hugely enjoyable read and a nice healthy antidote to traditional adventure tales.

Chocolat by Joanne Harris
This novel is as delicious as you would hope, given its title. The language of this one was what had me hooked: "literary feast" is a term that has never been more relevant, let me tell you. It's also good to see that style did not triumph over substance, as this book is as more-ish as its namesake, with every page tempting you into the next. I loved it; I can't wait to buy my own copy and read it again in a few months.

Calling Me Home by Julie Kiebler
This is one of those stories that I wish I had written. Simple but powerful stuff, I felt it handled lots of issues really well; and I loved the relationship between the two narrators.

Please do let me know if you've read any of these - and if you have any recommendations!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...